Friday, December 30, 2005

Time for a new browser

Washington Post article

A flaw in Windows allows a website to install malicious software on your machine – even taking control of it, just by you visiting that website using Internet Explorer.

Solution: Linux! Okay, I'm kidding. (Mostly kidding, it does solve that problem, and it is fun to use. Dear old Simon would have suggested that it is right for everybody, but I won't go that far.)

More workable solution: A different browser.

I like to recommend Firefox 1.5. It is stable and reasonably secure, available free of charge, and has some nifty extensions available for it that you can use to tailor your browsing experience. My favorite extension is Adblock.

Also available is Opera 8.5. Very full featured and also free of charge.

Remember kids: Don't click on the blue “e” unless you absoultely have to. Using a different browser will keep you safer.

If you are feeling very ambitious, you might want to look here, here, or here ;) Also, a way to try things out with no commitment (full install) can be had for free here.

3 comments:

droyne said...

Okay, I didn't get the html quite right. How do I fix it?

Glen Harris said...

Best you should call me for that info - it'd be to complicated to discuss via "comment"...

Glen Harris said...

I've tweaked the links so they will work properly.

BTW - the new computer we have talked about has been ordered and shipped out today. I was able to order it within $50 of your original estimate, plus a 20" flat screen monitor.