Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The New Computer is Almost Here!

My new Dell computer, which was ordered last week and was shipped on Monday, is almost within my grasp. Apparently, UPS stopped by my home to deliver the computer, but they did it at a time that most people (including myself) are at work. Go figure. A phone call later by Wifey, and the computer will be delivered to me at my office Thursday WHILE I'm there. It'll probably show up while I'm interviewing a couple of state representatives who will arrive in the early afternoon.

I hate to be unprepared, but I've been putting-off backing-up data from the now "old" computer for a number of reasons, primarily a lack of available CD-RWs or DVD-RWs to stuff data onto. After I learned that the computer was almost within my grasp, my back-up efforts kicked into high-gear - I've been scrounging my piles of data discs for CD-RWs and DVD-RWs and I've put together a checklist of programs to install on the new computer.

Anal-retentive-me, I've color-coded the program install list in order of necessity, so as to get the most essential items installed to work with the web, and to continue chatting online with Wifey. When I told Wifey about my list, she just shook her head in a manner reminiscent of a cruise line executive who learns that the emergency evacuation of one of the line's ships was delayed by a concerted effort to safely transport passengers from the ship, based upon hair color.

We'll see how this turns out...

1 comment:

droyne said...

Cool! I always have high dollar stuff shipped to me at work.

I'm sure you know all of this, but for our less computer savvy readers allow me to make some suggestions.

When I set up a new compy, I always install:

AdAware
Sbybot S&D with Tea Timer
AVG free antivirus
ZoneAlarm free firewall
Firefox browser with the Adblock extension and Filterset G; sometimes also the Flashblock extension
WinRAR for file unzipping

I think that is it. Dells sadly come pre-loaded with a veritable smorgasbord of crapware, including free trials of AOL, MSN, Norton *and* McAfee internet security, financial software, etc. I recommend removing all of these things. You may fare better (less crapware) as you are getting one from the small business side.

I recommend burning a CD (using a different computer) that includes all of the programs that I suggested above. Then, set up the computer but do not connect it to your cable modem or network. Remove all (if any is present) of the crapware, then install all of the suggested programs. Then connect to the internet and update everything, both the programs and Windows.

Good luck! If something I said doesn't click, please feel free to ask.